If you plan to study in higher education or seek professional registration, you can take the IELTS Academic test. Or if you want to study in secondary education, work or migrate to an English-speaking country, IELTS General Training test might be right for you.

Where you want to study, work or migrate to will affect which test you need to take. If you want to go to the United Kingdom, you will need to specifically take the IELTS for UKVI test. This can either be the IELTS Academic for UKVI test, IELTS General Training for UKVI test, or the IELTS Life Skills A1 or B1 test.

Make sure you visit the relevant government or institutional websites to confirm which test you need to take, as government agencies, institutions and other recognising organisations set their own IELTS entry requirements.


What does IELTS for UKVI, SELT and CEFR mean?

IELTS for UKVI, sometimes called SELT, is the same  as any other  IELTS  test, but with additional security  measures  required by the UK Government.

The Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) is an international standard for describing language ability. It describes language ability on a  6-point scale, from A1 for beginners, up to C2 for those who have mastered a language.

If  you  wish to migrate, study or work in the UK, you may be required to take the IELTS for UKVI test. Use the  UK Government visa check list  to find out whether you need to take an approved test  and  what level you need to achieve. 

Learn more