2023 Dragon Boat Fest. announcement | Learn more


If you are planning to migrate to an English speaking country, immigration authorities may ask you to provide evidence of your English language ability. People migrating to Australia, Canada and New Zealand sometimes have the choice of taking the IELTS General Training test.

In Australia, you can use your IELTS test score for a variety of visa categories, including for permanent residency.

Immigration New Zealand accepts IELTS for visas related to skilled migrants, investors and entrepreneurs.

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) normally requires evidence of English proficiency for work visas and migration purposes. The IELTS General Training test is the only internationally available English language test that IRCC accepts.

If you’re planning to migrate to the UK you may need to take one of the IELTS for UKVI tests. There are different tests you can take depending on your visa - IELTS for UKVI Academic, IELTS for UKVI General Training and IELTS for UKVI Life Skills.

Legislation about immigration changes frequently. It’s important to check what changes may apply to you from the immigration authorities of the country you are planning to migrate to.

Check the IELTS requirements of different recognising organisations for migration.


Can I use my IELTS Academic results for migration purposes?

IELTS Academic and General Training are two wholly separate types of test, for two different purposes. While some individual organisations may accept an Academic result in the place of General Training, this decision is up to them. You will need to contact your specific organisation to learn more.