The official IELTS by IDP app is here! Download it today.


There are two tests available: IELTS Academic and IELTS General Training. The test you choose should be based on what it is you want to do. The Academic test is usually for entry into university. General training is used for migration purposes. The organisation where you plan to work or study sets the requirements. So before you book your test, it is a good idea to check which one is right for you. 

Can I take IELTS General Training?

IELTS General Training tests your English language proficiency in a practical, everyday context. The tasks and tests reflect both workplace and social situations. IELTS is the only English test that provides General Training for migration purposes

Take IELTS General Training if you want to:

  • Migrate to Australia, New Zealand or another English-speaking country 

  • Get another job in your own country. 

  • Study or train below degree level 

  • Work in an English-speaking country

Do I need IELTS Academic?

You should do IELTS Academic for an academic environment, such as studying at University. This test measures whether your level of English language proficiency at an academic level and reflects aspects of academic language. Also, it helps to assess if you’re ready to begin your studies. 

IELTS is recognised by more than 11,000 universities and employers globally. It’s also recognised by professional bodies, immigration authorities and other government agencies. Search for organisations which accept IELTS scores 

Take IELTS Academic if you want to: 

  • Study at an undergraduate level or above 

  • Get a job that requires professional organisation (for example, doctorsnursesteachers or lawyers)

IELTS Academic or General Training on computer

You can do your IELTS Academic or your IELTS General Training test on a computer. This is the same test as IELTS on paper. But, instead of writing your answers on paper, you type them on a computer. So, why would you do IELTS on computer? 

For almost 30 years, IELTS has been a IELTS on paper English test that people have used to achieve their work, study and migration dreams. But you asked for more choice – and we’ve listened. Meet IELTS on computer: the same IELTS test you know, delivered via computer, with multiple test sessions a day and fast results. 

Two tests to chose from

IELTS Academic or General Training, which do you need? So, you know you need to take an IELTS test. You are probably wondering, which test you should take. IELTS offers an academic and non-academic version (which is called General Training). Everyone’s situation is different but here are a few tips to help find out which test is right for you. 

IELTS Academic 

IELTS Academic could be the right test for you, whether you are planning to study at university or you’re applying for professional registration. If you’re a doctor and engineer or teacher in training, it assesses whether you are ready to begin studying or training in an environment where English is the language used. 

IELTS General Training 

IELTS General Training might be the choice for you if you are going to an English-speaking country to do secondary education, work experience or a training program. It focuses on everyday language that you might use in the workplace or in day-to-day conversations. And finally, remember that every organization that you’re applying to, sets their own arts requirements. They decide if they will accept Academic or General Training results and the level of English or band score that you need to demonstrate. So before booking your test, it is a good idea to contact them directly and ask which tests you need to be enrolled in.   

Whichever you choose, from me to you, all the best with your IELTS test.