The official IELTS by IDP app is here! Download it today.
Why take IELTS General Training:
- The only English language test accepted for migration by governments in Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the UK.
- Create more work opportunities in English-speaking countries across the globe.
- Advance your career anywhere, even in your own country.
- Designed for everyday life, IELTS General Training is globally recognised by over 11,000 institutions worldwide.
What is IELTS General Training?
The IELTS General Training test is for people who wish to live and work abroad in an English-speaking country. The test features everyday English language skills that you will need in social and workplace environments.
Most importantly, this test help test takers to explore and open doors worldwide. It is the only English language test accepted for migration by all four governments in Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the UK.
To get a taste for what's involved in the test and to prepare yourself for the exam, we've put together this brief overview of the IELTS General Training test.
This test features everyday English. It includes four sections: Reading, Writing, Speaking and Listening.
IELTS General Training test format
This part of the test checks your understanding of reading materials you are likely to encounter daily in everyday life. Common items like extracts from books, magazines, newspapers, notices, advertisements, company handbooks and guidelines.
The Reading test is in three parts:
- - Part 1 contains several short texts
- - Part 2 contains two more short texts
- - Part 3 contains one longer text.
If you plan to migrate to Canada, Australia, New Zealand, the UK or the USA, taking an IELTS General Training test makes sense. Or if you plan on studying in secondary education, or enrolling in vocational training, this might still be the right choice.
But if you plan to study in higher education or want professional registration in an English-speaking country, you might need to take an IELTS Academic test.